Prosecution to Sara Duterte: Transparency? Start with yourself
MANILA, Philippines - The prosecution panel in Vice President Sara Duterte's impeachment trial challenged her call for transparency, saying such act should start with herself.
Lawyer Lorna Kapunan, one of the counsels for the prosecution team, told Duterte during an online press briefing on Wednesday that part of transparency is explaining why confidential funds (CF) allocated to her offices were spent for non-confidential activities when she could have tapped into regular funds.
Kapunan noted that the Office of the Vice President had a total budget of P2.3 billion in 2023, including confidential funds.
“Where did she spend the funds under her? That is where we require transparency,” Kapunan said.
READ: OVP used secret funds to buy P40-M meds, but that's not allowed - COA
“Sinasabi ng mga followers niya, eh 'yong [CF] ginamit sa gamot, buti nga ang Vice President ginagamit sa gamot, sa pagkain, sa grocery, et cetera, sa supplies. Hindi naman 'yon ang ibig sabihin ng [CF], eh 'di kunin mo sa bilyon mo, Madam Vice President? If you want transparency, you should start with yourself, where are you spending your billions in vice presidential funds?” she asked.
(Her followers said the CF was used to buy medicines; it's a good thing that the Vice President used it for medicines, food, groceries, et cetera, for supplies. But that's not the purpose of CFs; get it from the billions of regular funds under your office, Madam Vice President? If you want transparency, you should start with yourself: where are you spending your billions in vice presidential funds?)
Her remarks came after Duterte called for the Palace to disclose travel authorities and expenses of government officials, saying transparency and accountability should not be demanded from only one government office.
The vice president announced Tuesday night that she has cancelled her six-day personal trip to Japan which would have started on Wednesday, as she had already changed her plans.
READ: 'My plans have changed': Sara Duterte cancels Japan trip on Aug. 19-24
Prosecution spokesperson and impeachment adviser Robert Ace Barbers, meanwhile, defended the disclosure of Duterte's planned Japan trip, saying the public has a right to know the whereabouts of government officials, particularly during disasters and other emergencies.
“Kaya nga in-announce na merong scheduled trip ang ating Bise Presidente because that is exactly transparency -- eh you are a public official; people must know where you are, kasi sa panahon na merong delubyo kagaya nitong nangyayari sa atin na baha, bagyo, eh hindi naman puwede na walang kibo na lang ang ating mga officials sa gobyerno,” Barbers said.
(The reason why they announced that the Vice President has a scheduled trip is that, that exactly is transparency -- if you are a public official, people must know where you are, especially during these times of calamities brought by cyclones and flooding; government officials cannot be out of reach.)
Duterte has made several trips abroad in recent years, especially after the incarceration of her father, former President Rodrigo Duterte, at the International Criminal Court (ICC) which is based in the Netherlands.
READ: ICC confirms all charges vs Rodrigo Duterte
Aside from visits to her father, who is detained for crimes against humanity charges, the younger Duterte has also visited countries in the Middle East and other Asian nations like Japan. /dp